....................................... photo Home_zps9d0fe5e3.gif photo About-Me_zpsc81276fa.gif photo PR-Disclaimer_zps1659fe86.gif

Monday 8 July 2013

Review | MUA Lipsticks

Hello, lovelies !
Since I started my blog back in June and began reading all of your fabby blog posts, I’ve seen a lot of you guys raving about how great the MUA (makeup academy) lipsticks are ! Up until now, MUA was a make-up brand that I had never tried – I’d always have a little peek at their stand as I passed by it in the drug store, but I’d never stopped to have a proper look or pick up any of their products. I think that their super cheap prices made me question how good the quality of the products would actually be !
Anyhow, after hearing all the great things that you guys had to say about these lipsticks, I decided to pick up a couple whilst I was in Superdrug (at only £1 each, I figured that I didn’t have much to lose if I didn’t really like them !). I posted a picture of the two colours that I chose on my twitter, and the lovely Daphne from Peanut Butter and Chocolate Life commented saying that she’d love to see a review on them as she can’t buy the MUA products where she lives !
So, here you have it – a quick post on what I thought of the MUA lipsticks !
First off, there were so many pretty colours to choose from – I had a hard time picking these two out ! As you guys know, I’m a sucker for bright lip colours, so the first shade I choose was ‘shade 3’, which is a super bright pink colour. I’ve been on the hunt for a new coral coloured lipstick, so I also picked up ‘shade 12’, which, in the packaging, appears to be a soft pink-y orange colour. 


When I swatched ‘shade 3’, it came out as the perfect bright pink, as expected ! It glides onto the lips super easily -  the colour comes out very opaque and pigmented, meaning that you only need one coat, it’s not sticky, and it doesn’t smudge. Also, the formula is not at all drying, and so it doesn’t show any tiny cracks on your lips, which would leave them looking dry – this is a huge problem that I’ve had with a lot of cheaper lipsticks. The formula is actually fairly smooth and glossy when on the lips, making them look and feel hydrated.
As for the staying-power of this lipstick… well, it’s pretty average. I found that I had to touch-up the colour every few hours, even if I hadn’t eaten or drank anything – a lot of it seems to wear off even just from talking! Ach, well – I suppose that you can’t expect it to check every box, in the end, it was only £1 ! I can definitely deal with having to reapply it every now and then just because it’s such a fab lipstick ! 



I was slightly less impressed with shade 12, however, I’m sure I’ll still find a way to put it to good use ! As I said, I was looking for a coral shade, and, from what I could see through its packaging, shade 12 appeared to be the perfect pink-y coral. There was no tester for the shade, and, being the silly, indecisive person that I am, I decided to take the lipstick anyway, instead of looking for another shade that had a tester – oops ! Anyhow, when I got home and actually opened the lipstick up, I found that although the lipstick itself looked to be the perfect colour, when I applied it to my lips, it came out as an almost transparent pink, which was a bit of a disappointment as I was looking for a more opaque colour. It also has tonnes of sparkles/glitter in it, which isn’t really my thing. Oh well – I only have myself to blame ! Despite all of that, it’s not all doom and gloom – shade 12 has the same smooth, glossy formula as shade 3, which was a nice surprise, so I’m certain that I’ll find a use for it, whether that be wearing it under a lip gloss, or using it alongside another colour !


As a cute little extra, each lipstick has a tiny pot of the product which unscrews from the bottom ! I actually noticed it completely by accident when I was fiddling around with the packaging ! I’ve not used either of these yet, but I think they’d be great for when you need to touch-up your lip colour but don’t want to have to take your mirror and lipstick out as you could just apply with your finger, like you would with a lip balm !


I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised by these lipsticks. As someone with an interest in ‘beauty on a budget’, I’ve tried out a few lower priced lipsticks and been super disappointed with the quality of the product, but these lipsticks are definitely a must have for anyone – particularly those who are shopping on a budget !
Let me know what you guys thought of the MUA lipsticks ! I’m definitely going to try out some more of the colours and see what I think – what colours would you guys recommend ?

See you all next time !

Much love, 


6 comments :

  1. Oh man, these sound great! I was really looking forward to your review on shade 12 as I'm a sucker for corals. And then I got a bit disappointed when you said it was a sheer pink and had glitter...as I'm not the biggest fan of glitter. But then I got excited when you said that it worked beautifully (or would work beautifully) if topped over another color!

    Conclusion: I need to get my hands on these! Great post! xx

    Daphne | Peanut Butter and Chocolate Life | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're really good ! I was super disappointed too, but I guess it's my own fault ! It looks like the perfect coral colour when you see it in the little pot, but as soon as you apply it to your lips, it's more of a pink-y colour, and it's super glittery - glitter isn't my thing either! The formula is lovely, though, so it'd be perfect for using with another colour !

      You definitely need to get some, have you checked eBay ? I'm almost sure that you'll be able to get them on there !

      Much love, Sarah.x

      Delete
  2. I have most of the MUA lipstick shades and really like them, there are a couple of other sheer ones like shade 12 but most are nicely pigmented :) Shade 3 is probably my favourite of the lot, but I wear shade 2 a lot too in autumn. Loved your review! x

    www.beautiful-solutions.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that most of them are pigmented, I'm not the biggest fan of sheer lipsticks !
    Yeah, I've been really loving shade 3, I'm definitely going to check out more colours !
    Aw, thank you so much !

    Much love, Sarah.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep hearing such great things about this brand! Makes me wish they sold it here in the US! Shade 3 is lovely! I'm a sucker for pink and that one is so vibrant! x

    Megan @ Little Miss Average

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have a look on eBay, they sell loads of the MUA stuff on there, I'm sure you'd be able to ship it over !
      Me too, I can't resist pink and red lipsticks !

      Much love, Sarah.x

      Delete